Evaluating the Home Exterior
- Do trees and shrubs appear healthy? Are large trees at least 30 feet from the house?
- Is the lot sloped for proper drainage? Are there low spots near the house?
- Do outdoor electrical outlets have ground fault current interrupters to prevent shock?
- Is the outdoor lighting adequate?
- Are there outdoor faucets or a sprinkler system?
- Are sidewalks and driveways in good condition? Will water drain off them?
- Is the house’s surface in good repair? Are there cracks where materials meet at two walls or at windows and walls?
- Do windows, doors and chimney sit plumb and square?
- Is the roof free from sags and dips? Are shingles in good condition?
- Are gutters in good shape, with tight seams and do downspouts point away from the house?
- Do foundation walls have cracks larger than 1/4-inch wide?